Isle of Mull Scallops recipe
ISLE OF MULL SCALLOPS, SEASONAL VEGETABLES, WHITE WINE SAUCE
Watch our new executive chef Zoltan Szabo create hand dived Isle of Mull Scallops baked in the shell, with seasonal vegetables and a white wine sauce. Zoltan takes us through each process of the dish, try your hand at his featured recipe below in the comfort of your own home or during your time with us at Cameron Lodges.
(for 4 portions)
- Four scallops in the shell
- Diced onion (5mm dice) 20g
- Diced carrot (5mm dice) 20g
- Pastry 200gr
- White wine 100mls
- Cream 100mls
- One lemon
- Asparagus , sliced 4 stems
- Fennel (5mm dice) ½ bulb
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chives 20g
- Butter 70gr
- Vegetable oil 80ml
- One egg
- Preheat the oven to 200C degrees
- Heat half the butter and oil until hot then add all the vegetables except the asparagus.
- Cook without colouring for approximate 1 minutes then add the white wine.
- Reduce the wine by half and add the cream. Cook for approximate a minute on high heat and then season to taste. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the asparagus.
- Heat a frying pan with the remaining oil and butter until very hot. Flash sear the scallops on both sides then put them inside the prepared – cleaned shells.
- Season to taste and grate a touch of lemon zest on them.
- Top the scallops with 2-3 tbsp sauce and place the fitting shell-lid on top.
- Cut the pastry to approx. 2cm wide and approx. 15cm long strips. Crack the egg and whisk. Brush one side with the egg.
- Carefully lift up the assembled scallops shells and seal it with the pastry.
- Once the pastry is fitted, brush the outside of the pastry with egg wash.
- You can bake them at this stage or store them in a fridge for 24 hours.
- Place on a taking tray (you can fold little rings from tin foil to help keeping them steady) and bake in the hot oven for 6-8 minutes depending on the size of the scallops. If baked from fridge they will takes approx. 12-14 minutes to cook.
- Once ready, carefully remove from the oven and serve piping hot.