5 Facts About Afternoon Tea
Taking afternoon tea is a quintessential national pastime and has been part of our culture for centuries. Here we take a look at the top 5 facts about afternoon tea, from its origins to etiquette.
1. The origins of afternoon tea can be traced back to the early 1800s to Anna the seventh Duchess of Bedford. The evening meal was served fashionably late in the Duchess' household and not being satisfied with the long wait between lunch and dinner she began requesting tea and a snack in the late afternoon.
2. To celebrate PG Tips 75th anniversary the world's most expensive tea bag was commissioned. The diamond-encrusted bag was valued at £7,000.
3. It's estimated that as a nation Brits drink up to 165 million cups of tea each day.
4. Should you put jam or cream on your scone first? As this question in etiquette largely depends on where you are in the country there is no correct answer.
5. Historically milk was put into the teacup first to protect the china.